Pages

Thursday 10 November 2011

Floored

Many years ago when Duncan and I first met, we were able to have some time as a new couple almost every second weekend, when the children went to stay with their Dad. After their Dad collected then on Saturday afternoon and Duncan and I had the flat to ourselves we would indulge in some (mostly) secret behavior. We called it 'having a mattress day'. We would bring the mattress into the lounge and lay it on the floor in front of the fire (particularly nice in the winter when the real fire was lit). We would then spend 24 hours hanging out on the mattress. We would watch movies, listen to music eat food, drink wine and in general just be together. I think we made the effort because we were a new couple and had the children (from my first marriage) there for the rest of the time. I have some fond memories of this time and listening to Moloko or Primal Scream or watching certain movies will always evoke memories for me that come with a secret smile.
As the children grew older (they were 7 and 9 when Duncan and I met), their visits with their Dad faded away and Saturdays became family day and we 4 would hang out together. I would make a special dinner and we would play board games and watch family movies. It was a logical step looking back on it now. Duncan and I had built a wonderful relationship as a couple, next we shared that bond with the children and became a tightly knit little family.
Now things have changed again, and Duncan and I have found ourselves sleeping on a mattress on the floor every night. We are not alone though, because little O joins us at some point every evening/night.
We didn't start out this way, in fact we have had a few different connotations sleeping wise, since O was born.



Now that O will be 3 soon (in February) and sleeps like a starfish baby, we have found it impossible for all 3 of us to share one double bed. For now, we have two mattresses pushed together to make one giant bed on the floor, and I have to say, its working out pretty well. O can slip in beside us from his own cot-bed with the minimum of upheaval and we can all stretch and roll around a fair bit without someone else having to sleep on the edge (one foot on the floor). Bedding is a bit tricky, but a huge fur throw and a king size duvet is sufficing for now. I think I may try and sew some king size sheets together at some point in the future, we will see.

I would love to hear how other people are managing their co-sleeping. I find people are reluctant to talk about in real life. Comments such as, rod for your own back, spoiled, and too dependent from non co-sleepers tend to put attachment parents on the defensive. I adore waking up with O's sweet little head resting on me and although its a far cry from the mattress days we used to have I wouldn't change things for the world.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours

Val

No comments:

Post a Comment